A New Female President piloting Canadian North [Archive] - AirlineFan.com Forums

PDA

View Full Version : A New Female President piloting Canadian North

Henry Tenby
October 10th, 2007, 11:21
New president piloting Canadian North airline
Jennifer Obleman
Northern News Services
Published Monday, October 8, 2007

NWT/NUNAVUT - Canadian North could fly to new heights with a new president at the controls.

Tracy Medve, co-founder and partner of a Calgary-based aviation consulting business, will pilot Canadian North into the future.

Tracy Medve is the new president of Canadian North. Medve will spend about 75 per cent of her time travelling and will have a home and office in Yellowknife as well as a home in Calgary. - Jennifer Obleman/NNSL photo

Medve takes over the position formerly held by Tom Ruth, who left the company in June to pursue an opportunity with a marine company in Montreal. Medve has been involved with Canadian North in a private capacity since 1998, when she assisted in NorTerra's acquisition of the company.

"In some ways it will be a very smooth transition because I know the people, I know the company, I know the planes, I know where we fly," she said.

Canadian North's main objectives are to be profitable, to provide a safe and reliable transportation link between the North and the south, and to participate in NorTerra's shareholder employment and career development program.

"I see my job as being the force that takes us down that road," said Medve.

One of Medve's main priorities will be fleet planning to maximize passenger and cargo capacity on scheduled flights, looking at issues like which days flights are scheduled, whether cargo needs are being met, and what is required for priority cargo service.

Another high priority will be enhancing community air service.

"Our shareholders are all across the Northwest Territories and Nunavut. We must make sure we have good, reliable air service to their communities," said Medve.

The most recent change to Canadian North's community air service was adding Dash 8 flights to the Kitikmeot region of Nunavut. The company is considering servicing more Northern communities or establishing partnership agreements with existing carriers to ensure a strong and seamless network of flights.

Charter services to oilsands companies has been a major area of growth for Canadian North, and Medve will be looking to build on that. Commuter flights from the Fort McMurray area to Newfoundland can benefit the Northern shareholders and employees, she said.

"Any time we increase our contract charters, it may provide opportunities for new employment. It may be jobs in the south, but that doesn't mean the jobs have to be filled by people from the south," she said.

Medve was selected from a pool of 20 candidates because of her extensive knowledge and experience both in the North and with Canadian North, said Carmen Loberg, president of NorTerra, which is owned by the Inuvialuit Development Corporation and the Nunasi Corporation.

"She comes to the position fully engaged with what we do here," he said.

"She understands the North and the requirements for an airline in the North."

Under Medve's leadership, the company will have a renewed focus on its Northern markets, strengthening ties to communities, he added.

Fred Hunt, president of Nunasi Corporation, said he is looking forward to working with Medve.

"We look very much forward to having her move us in a new direction," he said.

"Tracy has a very clear understanding of the ownership group of this airline. She understands who we are and what we stand for. That's very important to us."