DSLR Slide and Negative Copying by Roel Reijne [Archive] - AirlineFan.com Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Slide and Negative Copying by Roel Reijne

Henry Tenby
December 11th, 2008, 22:38
DSLR Slide and Negative Copying by Roel Reijne

From the moment I bought my slide scanner, a Minolta Scan Dual II, in 2000, I thought, “There must be a quicker way to digitalize slides and negatives.”

The problem with my scanner was that it took about 5 minutes to scan a slide or negative at its highest resolution. It also scanned some dust, no matter how well I cleaned the slide, so more time was spent cleaning a slide in Photoshop after scanning it. At the time I didn't have any software for the scanner to reduce dust.

My Einstein Moment

I think everybody has, at least a few times in his or her life, an “Einstein moment.” I think this was one of mine and I’d like to share it with you. I thought, “Why not place a slide on my light box and make a photo of it with my digital camera?”

The lightbox I use is a MEDALight LP-2000 with cold cathode lamp, which has a perfect, bright white light (5000K daylight).

To read the rest of this article click on this link:
http://www.fencecheck.com/photography/DSLR_Slide_and_Negative_Copying/

Sergei Tsvetkov
April 3rd, 2009, 05:30
Good idea, BUT
- you must have special macro lens
- if compare with scanner you lost many powerful tools as colour correction, sharpening etc
- and - most important - do you really sure that dynamic range of DSLR is the same as for good slide-scanner?

Henry Tenby
April 3rd, 2009, 07:47
Yes I am sure you are right .. I just posted this fellow's suggestion for people to see. What he did was rather creative.

By the way, welcome to the website. You are the first person from your region and I welcome your interesting shots to the site..!!

Sergei Tsvetkov
April 3rd, 2009, 08:12
By the way, welcome to the website.
Thanks!..
The fact I am here is rather result of absolutely idiotic screening at A-Net - the shot of An-22 you was impressed, was rejected twice with reason "too much grain"...

Henry Tenby
April 3rd, 2009, 13:24
Whoever said it has too much grain must not be wearing his glasses as it is a fantastic shot... certainly no grain problem that I could see. It is pin sharp.

Welcome to the site and I certainly look forward to more of your shots Sergei. If you need any help or have any problems with the site always feel free to contact me personally.. and I will help.